Medical Cannabis: Equal Access for All?
Session Date: Breakfast Session 5, Ballroom Level, Room 501/502
• Johnny Ma, Mapol Inc.
• Philippe Lucas, Tilray (Moderator)
• Dr. Bruno Battistini, New Brunswick Health Research Foundation
• Jonathan Zaid, Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana
The Canadian landscape for medical cannabis is quickly evolving, with a rapid increase in credible clinical evidence for its utilization for different medical conditions. There is increased awareness and demand from Canadian patients for timely, accessible, and affordable medical cannabis for appropriate use, but multiple barriers continue to exist, including suboptimal coverage by public and private payer plans. The objectives of this panel discussion will be the following:
- To present evidence on the appropriateness, effectiveness, and accessibility of medical cannabis for Canadians with medical conditions.
- To present the real-world findings of an evaluative framework used by Canadian payers for the timely and appropriate access to medical cannabis.
- To hear the patient voice on how improving reimbursement of medical cannabis improves appropriate, accessible, and affordable patient care, which can reduce reliance on other prescription drugs.